APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 PROGRAM WILL BE ACCEPTED: December 1, 2018 through February 28, 2019
The Martha Guy Summer Institute for Future Business Leaders (MGSI) has a solid, 15-year history of inspiring students through exploration of the business world, and we will be accepting applications for our 16th cohort beginning December 1, 2018.
Admission to MGSI is limited to current high school juniors who have a sincere interest in business as a college major. Applicants should be competitive students among their high school class. They will need to provide evidence of high school academic achievement, demonstrate involvement in school and/or community activities, as well as leadership potential. The program tries to select participants who have the potential to be accepted for admission at Appalachian State University. To get more information about applying to ASU, please visit http://admissions.appstate.edu/prospective-students/freshmen
Once applications are received, they are screened and reviewed. Telephone interviews may be conducted to identify finalists, who will then complete a personal interview.
Applying to the Martha Guy Summer Institute involves:
- Submitting an online application.
- Upon completion of the application, you will need to secure two evaluation forms to also be completed online; one completed by an academic reference and another by a personal reference (no family members please).
- The following items should be mailed or scanned and emailed together:
- Your high school transcript, grades and GPA.
- Signed releases and signatures page (PDF)
- Test scores. If you have taken the PSAT, SAT or ACT, please ask your counselor to add the scores to your transcript. If your school does not provide test scores on transcripts, please forward a copy of your own test report. If you have not taken any of the tests, please indicate so on your application.
Mail these materials to:
Walker College of Business
Martha Guy Summer Institute
ASU Box 32037
Boone, NC 28608-2037
OR Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for the 2019 program will be accepted, December 1, 2018 - February 28, 2019
July 7 - July 27, 2019
Interview Dates (March/April 2019)*
- Asheville - TBD Week of March 11-15, 2019
- Boone - Thursday, March 14, 2019
- Charlotte - Thursday & Friday, April 4-5, 2019
- Greenville - TBD
- Triad - TBD Week of April 8-12, 2019
- Triangle - TBD Week of March 18-22, 2019
- Wilmington - TBD
* Out of state - TBD, applicants have the option of interviewing via video conference if they are too far away from a North Carolina interview location.
Tuition and Scholarships
Tuition for the entire three-week 2019 program, travel included, is $1,900 plus a $350 meal plan. Contributions from the Martha Guy Endowment fund cover a significant portion of the actual program costs.
Tuition, meal plan and endowment funds provide housing, instruction, and travel expenses (lodging, transportation, most meals and admission fees to sites and events). Participants will be responsible for spending money for souvenirs and extra activities of their choice.