MGSI is an exceptional opportunity and we want every qualified student to be able to participate, regardless of means. Scholarship assistance is available based on need, but 100% scholarships are not offered. The scholarship application should be submitted at the time the student applies. Payroll data (3 months of payroll for the household from the past 6 months) can be submitted once the applicant is chosen for the interview process.
Letter to Guidance Counselors
Dear Junior Counselor/Summer Programs Contact:
The “best” summer opportunity awaits current high school juniors on the campus of Appalachian State University. The Martha Guy Summer Institute for Future Business Leaders (MGSI) has a solid, 15-year history of inspiring students through exploration of the business world, and we are now accepting applications for our 16th cohort.
Unique aspects of MGSI
- Unlike most summer opportunities, MGSI combines a residential experience with out of state travel. Following time spent on Appalachain State's campus, the program concludes with a travel to various business and cultural sites.
- Each MGSI class is small. Twenty-four students are selected and the group size provides an intimate, personal experience for each participant.
- It is quite affordable considering the extensive travel, excursions and activities; 2019 tuition is $1,900 plus a $350 meal plan (the same as 2018 tuition and fees). Need-based scholarships are available to qualified applicants.
Which students are well suited for MGSI?
- We are seeking students who have a sincere interest in business as a college major and demonstrate academic achievement and leadership potential. Some candidates have an entrepreneurial spirit, or have unique or extensive part-time work experience. Also consider your most competitive students among under-represented groups and populations. Interested students should demonstrate academic achievement.
- Students who embrace and appreciate new people, opportunities and experiences are ideal for MGSI. They should also be well-prepared to be away from home and able to manage a demanding schedule.
- Applications for the 2019 program will open on December 1, 2018 and will be accepted through February 28, 2019.
Please offer this opportunity to current juniors
- Please make announcements, post on your website, and include MGSI in your newsletters, and share the opportunity with teachers and club advisors who work with students described above.
- Parents want to know! Please share this information with your school’s parent organizations.
- Please reach out and encourage at least one student to apply!
Thank you for promoting this program! Feel free to contact me at email@example.com or 1-877-APP-MGSI (277-6474) with questions.
Barbara J. Rule
Director, Martha Guy Summer Institute