MGSI is an exceptional opportunity and we want every qualified student to be able to participate, regardless of means. Scholarship assistance is available based on need. The scholarship application should be submitted at the time the student applies. Payroll data (3 months worth from the past 6 months) can be submitted once the applicant is chosen for the interview process.
Letter to Guidance Counselors
Dear Junior Counselor/Summer Programs Contact:
The “best” summer opportunity awaits current high school juniors on the campus of Appalachian State University. The Martha Guy Summer Institute for Future Business Leaders (MGSI) has a solid, 13-year history of inspiring students through exploration of the business world, and we are now accepting applications for our 14th cohort.
Unique aspects of MGSI
- Unlike most summer opportunities, MGSI combines a residential experience with out of state travel. Following time spent on Appalachain State's campus, the program concludes with a travel to various business and cultural sites.
- Each MGSI class is small. Twenty-four students are selected and the group size provides an intimate, personal experience for each participant.
- It is quite affordable considering the extensive travel, excursions and activities; tuition is $1,800 plus a $350 meal plan. Need-based scholarships are available to qualified applicants.
Which students are well suited for MGSI?
- We are seeking students who have a sincere interest in business as a college major and demonstrate academic achievement and leadership potential. Some candidates have an entrepreneurial spirit, or have unique or extensive part-time work experience. Also consider your most competitive students among under-represented groups and populations. Interested students should demonstrate academic achievement.
- Students who embrace and appreciate new people, opportunities and experiences are ideal for MGSI. They should also be well-prepared to be away from home and able to manage a demanding schedule.
- Application deadline is February 24, 2017.
Please offer this opportunity to current juniors
- Please make announcements, post on your website, and include MGSI in your newsletters, and share the opportunity with teachers and club advisors who work with students described above.
- Parents want to know! Share this information with your school’s parent organizations.
- Please reach out and encourage at least one student to apply!
Thank you for promoting this program! Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-APP-MGSI (277-6474) with questions.
Barbara J. Rule
Director, Martha Guy Summer Institute
|Final MGSI postcard 17.pdf||1.47 MB|